Sunday, April 25, 2010

More Potassium and a Tip on Sando

First I'll give the Sandostatin LAR tip, because I'm going to ramble like usual :-) I thought I posted it here somewhere but I guess maybe I commented somewhere else. Anyway, people on forums have complained about the shot hurting, or getting a lump since it is a bigger needle, and the Sando is thick. When I first started getting the shots, I tensed the leg on the side I was getting the shot, and I felt pain shoot down my leg, along with developing a large, painful lump. Maybe I'm getting scar tissue and that's why getting the shot is so easy now, or maybe I'm doing something right. I make sure that I don't stand on the leg on the side that's receiving the shot, and I close my eyes and concentrate on not tensing either. It also helps to massage the area right after the shot. But truthfully, I get a small lump now and I don't massage anymore, and it's easy to deal with. I don't even feel the needle go in usually.

And...I'm onto my next theory why my BP is so high (still prehypertensive). I'm guessing I've been eating a high sodium diet that's also WAY too low in potassium. High sodium..duh..too much fast food/packaged junk. My BP goes up even after one fast food meal. I realized I've gradually cut way too many things out of my diet, probably out of laziness. Even eating at home, I thought eating smaller portions of meat was better, and added some carbs with it. I've also been boiling meats which I read causes it to lose nutrients.

I'd asked my doctors to test all of my levels of like everything possible in years past. So I assumed they checked potassium, but maybe not. I'm going to double check. I do have ALL of these symptoms of potassium deficiency: fatigue, myalgia (muscle weakness), acne, dry skin, memory loss, heart problems, digestive problems, ringing in the ear.

So I'm on week 1 of a new diet. No pill supplements since I've read they can be dangerous. Larger portions of meat like steak, potatoes, bananas, OJ, etc. Less packaged crap/fast food (I really didn't add much table salt to anything, just ate the wrong things). I should also mention prior to this diet I'd pretty much completely cut out caffeine, besides green tea a few times a week. And soda or coffee maybe once a week. So far I'm feeling more energy so that's good. Seems like less bloating and water retention. Digestive stuff better. Lost a few pounds. Feeling less cravings. Usually I crave sugar constantly. Haven't taken many BP readings yet but had a couple good ones. And I'm also aware that I may trade off a better BP for higher cholesterol levels with eating more meats (like I'll take time/remember to make sure it's not fatty every time I shop). I'll update later, along with info from the doctor about whether my potassium level was ever checked.

Healthline

Life123

Wellsphere

Mayo Clinic

2 comments:

polarchip said...

Hi Jenny!!

I've discovered the same thing about the Sando shot- relaxing the leg that you're getting the shot on definitely helps! I've even had it done where I'm laying down completely and I find that is the most comfortable way to do it (although it's not always convenient to find a place where you can do that).

I'm really interested in your low sodium higher potassium diet. Please keep us posted on that. I occasionally have intense salty cravings, and I think it is somehow associated with the acromegaly. I definitely notice swelling in my face, hands, and feet after indulging in too much salt.

Salt (or sodium from processed foods) seems to be the new "red alarm" food (like fat, sugar, artificial sweeteners, HFCS...). Did you hear that New york is cracking down on salt?!

Starbucks Addict said...

Hey Ellen. I'm feeling a lot better on a lower sodium diet. I don't always manage to get that extra potassium that I'm trying for daily. Low sodium V8, and potatoes are great sources. You have to be careful and not get the regular V8 though, it has tons of sodium. I've noticed the swelling has gone down some in my hands and feet, my blood pressure is a little better, and I don't feel as bloated either. Cutting out, or minimizing salt will really force you to eat healthier. I did hear about New York's salt ban. I think it's too extreme, but it's a step in the right direction.