Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Acro Monster

In response to an anonymous poster who didn't believe I looked like I physically had Acromegaly, here are before and after pictures. Oh, and thanks for the comment since I certainly don't wish to look like an Acromegalic :-) I never wanted to post my worst pictures because I was embarrassed and ashamed of the "monster" I felt that Acromegaly turned me into. But if it helps others, here it is. I'm including my reply to this person, although I forgot to include all of the physical signs of Acromegaly that I had, sorry my memory is still not the best. Another I can mention is I started developing an under bite and TMJ.

My Acro Monster (Pre- Surgery 9/2006, Surgery 12/2006)

Almost 5 Years Post Surgery (6/2011)

"Yes, I believe my Acromegaly may have been caught early. I did have the outward signs before I had surgery. Some of my physical symptoms of Acromegaly were: I gained 30 pounds, my nose and lips enlarged, my skin darkened and thickened, my brow started lowering and my eyes became further recessed. I had acne, I grew more facial hair. I also developed the body type of the Acromegalic with a barrel-like chest, and spade-like hands and feet. Going on a diet, having surgery 5 years ago, and the fact that I'm now on 40mg of Sandostatin every 3 weeks has gone a long way towards getting me back to looking normal, although I don't feel completely normal on the inside. I still have large knuckles and spade-like hands and feet, although my tissue swelling has reduced immensely. I haven't posted one of the worst pictures of myself before surgery, but I can do that so you can see more of a difference. Truthfully I'm embarrassed at the monster I became. This is my picture timeline."

My Picture Timeline

3 comments:

Alecia E. said...

outerYou are so brave to post a picture of that acro monster - ha ha. I can identify with your apprehension to put the worst pictures up. I agree that it's a compliment if someone said you don't look like an acromegalic. You look wonderful, Jenny. Great post!

Michele said...

My son walked in when I had your Acro Monster photo up and my son walked into the offic and thought it was me! Then I opened up your photo timeline and he couldn't believe how similar, but then he was excited to see you more recent photo. It does give us hope!

I had surgery Dec 21st and immediately saw and felt imnprovement, but then kind of back-peddled a little, guess that ugly little growth hormone monster started raging again. But since, have started Sandostatin daily injections, but don't feel much different (its only been a week), but I feel so impatient some days, and other days blessed to be alive and that we found it and that I still have my friends, family and sense of humor through all.
thanks for sharing your story!

Starbucks Addict said...

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'm glad I could give you hope that things will get better, I'm sure they will! It's definitely a difficult condition to live with daily. It can be very frustrating trying to get the proper treatment, and deal with all of the crazy symptoms. Knowing I wasn't alone has really helped me too. Good luck to you!