Monday, September 12, 2011

Raw Food Diet

I've been trying to change my diet for my health the last few years since I've had Acromegaly and as a result, high blood pressure. I grew up on a high dairy diet (I loved milk, cheese, ice cream and eggs), then as an adult I transitioned to a higher protein, higher fat diet (thank you fast food) which also included high dairy. It seems a 100% raw food diet may be much more beneficial than I first thought. When I tried to go raw before I didn't stick with it, in part due to habit and societal reasons. What I didn't realize at the time, was that I was also probably in a detox phase that was uncomfortable. If I can find the motivation I'm going raw/organic. It's sobering to think my own diet may have caused my Acromegaly. I wish there was a way to cure or reverse the condition without medications. I've already transitioned to a very low salt diet (way under 1500mg/day) and have lowered my blood pressure to a normal level so that I don't need blood pressure medication anymore. My skin also looks better, it's no longer super dry to the point of flaking, and I have less acne.

Why Raw Food?

4 comments:

Julie S. said...

Hi Jenny,

You may enjoy this link? I have signed up for his newsletters and find it a great read. Jason is from my home town and the owner of his own gym. He has many followers and many of his statements I find true myself. I am getting convinced that FOOD is the root cause of many of our health issues and with the right mindset and education we CAN have control of our health, energy levels, happiness.... He is pro organic and does not eat any dairy, meat....he states his reasons very clearly.
I am back to work and life in general is good. I have slowly gotten myself off of my BP pills with exercise (daily walks) and healthy eating. I know I have a ways to go but it is all a process. Best of luck and will keep in touch. Off to bring my son to bed! Julie


http://www.jchristoff.com/

Starbucks Addict said...

Thanks Julie, I'll look into it :-)

Julie S. said...

Hi Jenny,
Well, I had to return taking my BP pills. Boy oh boy, you think you are doing fine and well, back on the patient wagon again. I started noticing too many symptoms ie. flushing, heart rate elevated, blurred vision...so, I'm back taking half my BP pill again and so far, I haven't had any symtpoms. Just wanted to share :)

Julie S. said...

I understand your frustration completly. You know, since I've been back to work, my BP has been increasing and that's where I noticed the flushing usually after lunch. Symptoms are: legs get hot/red, neck, cheeks and I get blurred vision. Now, I am not stressed at work but a nurse explained to me that it is normal to have higher BP levels during work. When I get home, I usually feel better. I only have 1 cup of coffee (am). I don't have any pop either during the day. So, it is what it is for now. Today, my vision was blurred again and I had a Nutri-Grain bar and felt 100% better right after so, I'm wondering if my insulin levels are fine? I will discuss this with my Endo during my next visit in December. Boy, the girls at my work can't believe how in-tune I am with my body LOL. Soon, Julie