Friday, September 4, 2009

Pinched Nerve - Acro, Genetics, just getting older??

I always want to attribute every new weird medical problem I have to Acromegaly :-) I'm not sure that's what's causing it in this case. I've had a pinched nerve in my leg now for the last 5 weeks, possibly caused after I did some digging with a shovel. The pinch didn't happen immediately after, it was a couple days later. I wouldn't think a little digging would cause a problem like this for a 32 year old, but I could be wrong! I was told after x-ray that I have spine arthritis in the T4-T8 area, with some disc thinning. The Dr sent me to physical therapy and told me I can exercise, but should avoid lifting over 50 lbs, and back contortions (no yoga for me). The last few weeks resting, elevating the leg, and heat have really decreased the pain. Increased activity seems to make the pain worse. My family has a history of back problems so genetics may be playing into the equation.

I've also noticed that there seems to be some relation between repetitive actions and increased muscle aches for me. I'm an avid reader, but I've purposely avoided reading lately. The pain and tightness on the left side of my neck and shoulder (and headaches on the left side) seem to have gone away. I'm wondering if the pain was caused by too much reading, holding the book in my left hand for hours at a time, day after day. I've noticed at other times when I overdo things my muscles ache as well. But I don't think it would be overdoing it, these actions don't seem like they should be that detrimental to a person the same age without Acromegaly. Or maybe I'm just getting old! :-D I may be grasping at straws but it makes me wonder!

2 comments:

Rochelle Buckley said...

Hi there,

I have just read your blog and I have been diagnosed with Acromegaly, about February this year. I too have been experiencing numbness, tingling and loss of feeling down my left side. My GP feels it may be a pinced nerve but it gets slightly worse each day. Currently I have pins and needles in my left arm and leg and can't feel my toes.
Maybe mine too is just a coincidence, maybe it is a pinced nerve but I thought you may be interested to know that I am experiencing similar symptoms.
Rochelle :)

Starbucks Addict said...

Hey Rochelle. I hope things get better soon. I always like hearing from others with acromegaly, and how it has affected their lives :-) Maybe we can help each other where the medical community fails us.